Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Disappearing BLT



Okay, so I know that I made the BLT and you aren't supposed to rave about food that you create, but ... I LOVE this sandwich. It is my mom's creation, so I take no credit for this little twist on the oh-so familiar sandwich.

The most daunting task about making a BLT for 18 is frying the bacon! The last time I made this, I think I spent multiple hours standing in front of a frying pan. My sister recently shared with me that she makes bacon for her husband and five children on the electric griddle. BRILLIANT! I never thought about this time-saving method of frying the bacon. Hands down...REAL bacon is fried...not microwaved or cooked in the oven.

So...here was my first time preparing bacon on the griddle...


It was a success. Much less of a mess and the cooking process was a lot faster!

As for the tomatoes, I don't just slice the tomatoes. A while back, my mom told me what she'd made for dinner for herself and my dad: a huge BLT! But what really made it was the tomatoes! She took some grape tomatoes, threw them on the stove with olive oil and minced garlic AND let them cook away. Let them cook on med-low heat for a while...they will burst and create a lovely sauce/spread for the BLT.


What else...

My only other "secret" was making the bread. I guess I could have done this by scratch but I didn't! I just grabbed some frozen bread dough from the freezer section of the local grocery store and let it rise.


In the past, I have gone to the local pizzeria and purchased their fresh bread dough...just another idea. Making your own loaves allows for a much thinner bread, allowing your to enjoy the insides of the sandwich more!

That's about it...assemble the sandwiches with some mayo. YUM, YUM.

Okay...easy dinner, right? So...who's going to add it to their menus?

No comments:

Post a Comment