Thursday, April 26, 2012

What a Crock!

I kid! I kid! 

(But, seriously, who could resist a title like that during the Great Crockpot Challenge of 2012?)


As Krista explained, the Crockpot Challenge was started primarily as a way to initiate me (Janet) into the wonderful world of slow cookers. Up until now, I've only ever used my crock pot to make BBQ pork (ala my dad's incredible recipe, which I will share with you some time this summer when I will certainly have a craving for barbecue--it's so stinkin' good!)

So, what was the verdict, you ask. Yeah, I know you're sitting on the edge of your seat, biting your nails in eager anticipation to know...

Well, if I'm being 100% honest here, my verdict is: "Meh."


I could take or leave it.

On the positive side, I can definitely get behind a cooking method that allows me to finish the bulk of my cooking in the early part of the day, cutting way down on that end-of-the-day, "eeek! it's almost dinnertime and I'm still chopping carrots!" panic that occasionally sets in when I don't plan well.

In addition, all of that early cooking meant that I had time to (mostly) clean the kitchen mid-day, rather than in the evening, when I'm usually feeling tired and overwhelmed by the disaster area that I create every time I cook for four families (or even one family--hey, I'm a messy cook).

I also liked that the crock pot kept the food nice and toasty warm on a night when I didn't get around to eating the meal I made until 9:00 that night. (Long story!) It was great to pop off that lid and feel the steam rising up at me like a nice warm hug.

On the not-so-positive side, I felt a little constricted during the actual cooking process. I like to taste! I like to check the flavors and adjust for salt and spices and whatever else I think needs tweaking. And, while this recipe did call for me to make the initial sauce in pan on the stove--which allowed me to test and adjust to my heart's content--it then called for me to dump everything (including the uncooked chicken) into the crockpot which immediately ended all tasting and testing. (Death by raw chicken? No, thank you.)

I think if I had been making the whole concoction on the stovetop, I would have had adjusted the recipe somewhat (especially after adding two cans of chopped tomatoes, which diluted my spices and raised the acidity quite a bit). And, while I am happy with how the meal turned out in the end, I just felt a little like my hands were tied during an important part of the cooking process.

As a friend of mine said, "Sounds like with a crock pot, you really have to trust your recipe." And that's the crux of the matter: it was a new recipe and I didn't trust how it would turn out. If I'd had a tried-and-true recipe to work with, maybe I would have been able (and even happy!) to just walk away from the pot and return several hours later to a perfect meal.

So, not overwhelmingly negative. Not overwhelmingly positive.

Just "meh."

(Disclaimer: Have I ever mentioned that I don't really like change? And that I like doing things the way I like doing them? Yeah...probably should take that into account, too.)

So, will I embrace crock-pot cooking? Probably not. But will I try it again, especially on a day when I've got a load of stuff to do in the afternoon/evening...you betcha! And I probably won't try such a complex, untested recipe again either. I'm thinking simpler is better when it comes to crock pots.

But...I will say: It was TASTY!

Crockpot Moroccan Chicken vs. Regular Moroccan Chicken  (I've made both and like them both. Try them for yourself and see which one you prefer...)

Crockpot Moroccan Chicken



(Click HERE for the online recipe.)

 Notes: I added about 1/2 to 1 cup yogurt to the crockpot mixture after it had cooked for about 3 or 4 hours. Hey, I like yogurt! Also, I made plain couscous to go with it. Finally, I think it would have been much prettier with chopped fresh cilantro to add a little green. But, alas, kids don't like random green stuff on their food.

Regular Moroccan Chicken

1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed

Yogurt Marinade: 1/2 cup plain yogurt; 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander); 1 Tbsp olive oil; 2 cloves garlic, minced; 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika; 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin; 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 onion (I used a shallot because it's milder) - chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:

1. Marinate chicken in yogurt mix for at least 4 hours (or overnight).

2. Saute chicken (along with yogurt) in a large skillet. Remove chicken (and liquid) to a bowl.

2. Saute onion, garlic, carrots in same pan. When tender, stir in ginger, paprika, cumin, oregano and turmeric; stir fry for about 1 minute, then mix in broth. Return chicken to pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.

3. Add chickpeas to pan and bring to simmering once again; cover pan and cook for about 15 minutes, or until zucchini is cooked through and tender. Stir in lemon juice, salt to taste, and serve.

Couscous with Apricots, Cranberries and Almonds

(Makes about 3 cups)

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced (again, I used a shallot)
2 med garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger (or about 1/2 tsp fresh ginger)
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1 cup plain couscous
1 1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dried apricots (about 8 or 9 whole), chopped fine
3 or 4 Tbsp dried cranberries
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves (optional)
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Heat butter over med heat in a med saucepan. Add onion, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. Saute until onion softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add couscous; stir until well-coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, bring to simmer, remove from heat, cover, and let stand until couscous has fully re-hydrated, about 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork; stir in dried fruits, nuts, parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with Moroccan Chicken and be happy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment